Sunday 26 June 2011

Homemade Latte Using Instant Coffee.

Photobucket
Whipped topping optional
We don't have a Starbucks where we live.  That's probably just as well since it costs an arm and a leg to get anything decent there.  My usual, if I'm visiting a city that has (several, which is usually the case, something like Tim Hortons here) Starbucks, is a vanilla soy latte.  I don't completely avoid dairy, but I don't drink milk, so having a soy latte costs even more at Starbucks.  I think Tim's does lattes now, but they don't offer soy milk (at least the locations here don't) so if I want a latte, I pretty much have to make it myself.

With that in mind, yesterday, I set out to find an easy recipe for homemade latte. After doing a few searches on the internet, I hit payload!  You don't need any fancy espresso machines or milk steamers. Just a saucepan, a kettle, and a whisk.

Here is the recipe I found (paraphrased):

Prepare the cup you will be using with 1 teaspoon of instant coffee, 1 teaspoon of sugar and a splash of boiling water from the kettle.

Optionally, you can add about half a teaspoon of vanilla extract for extra flavour.

Stir it up until the coffee and sugar is dissolved.

Heat some soy milk in the saucepan and when it's hot enough, whisk it vigorously by rolling the whisk between your palms, until the top of the milk becomes foamy.

Pour about 1 part boiling water into the cup to about 2 parts of hot soy milk.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I made one of these today after seeing it on your facebook status. it was pretty darn good! I'm glad to have found a use for the huge jar of instant coffee just sitting in my cupboard. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melly, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving comments. At first I wasn't sure that it was you. It's been a while.

    How about that, I'm your first follower. Hugs. JB

    ReplyDelete